I commute to work predominantly on the motorcycle but also drive too; therefore I have experience of driving and riding in urban congested areas particularly on motorways and fast roads. This comes in handy when teaching the best way to filter in traffic on the motorcycle. I cover approximately 10,000 miles privately and a further 10,000 miles through work per year either on the police bike or whilst training.
I am a permanent police motorcyclist attached to a motorcycle based tasking team based in west London responsible for disrupting criminal use of the road by intercepting law breakers, specifically burglars, robbers and gang members. When they can be arrested ‘in the act’ we will attempt to intercept their general use of the road network and deal with them accordingly. However, I am fully operational, dealing with day to day traffic related work. I also drive traffic patrol cars too.
I am a police Class 1 Advanced motorcyclist riding for the Traffic Division riding operationally with emergency equipment, responding to calls, escorting abnormal loads, escorting marches, motorcycle rallies, and even 37 articulated lorries all at once through south London for The London Marathon each year. I am Special Escort Group trained. I have experience riding on VIP, Parliamentary and Royal escorts as well being a PSV and HGV driver. I am also an Internal Assessor for police drivers (A1 Assessor).
I have worked on policies involving Motorcycles in Bus Lanes and Mosaic Studies to target vulnerable road user groups and Personal Protective Equipment studies in partnership with Transport for London (TfL).
I researched, developed and delivered the BikeSafe-London rider skills day project for 11 years, writing the syllabus and delivering classroom and on-road rider assessments for over 35,000 attendees. I also assisted in the project becoming a national one with 41 Forces now delivering the project. I sat on the National BikeSafe Steering Group and organised 2 National BikeSafe Shows at The Peel Centre. Prior to being re-deployed I attended Cranfield University and took a Master’s Degree module studying driver and rider Cognitive Development. As a result of my learning, I re-wrote the BikeSafe-London syllabus to be more focused on developing cognitive behaviours within riders and drivers as opposed to only assessing core motor skills.
I also developed the programme with a colleague serving with the North Carolina State Highway Patrol. I worked with him adapting my syllabus to work within the US and presented to his Management Board. BikeSafe is now delivered in 6 States and is growing in popularity. I have also advised officers in Australia and South Africa developing safety strategies.
Motorcycle Safety Forum
I sit on a panel comprising of members of the Motorcycle Industry Association, motorcycle manufacturers, motorcycle representative groups, media, training organisations and insurance companies where I represent the police. We are all working towards delivery of a collective approach to motorcycle safety and have exciting projects coming up.
World of BMW / Motorrad Tours
I teach advanced on-road motorcycle training for World of BMW based in Royston, Hertfordshire ranging from CBT and DAS through to Individual Premium Training. I have toured extensively through Europe as well as America and Canada and I also lead European Tours for Motorrad Tours Ltd.
I am a Regional Examiner in Hertfordshire examining for both the IAM and RoSPA for both motorcycles and cars and I also one of only 6 trainers in the country to teach and test the ROADAR Diploma in Advanced Motorcycle Training.
I am on the Register for Post Test Motorcycle Trainers (RPMT) and am qualified to deliver the Driving Standards Agency Enhanced Rider Scheme.
- 1981 DSA Moped test
- 1982 DSA Car test
- 1984 Institute of Advanced Motorists Car test.
- Joined the Metropolitan Police Service
- 1987 Police Panda Driving Course – Hendon Driver Training School
- Police Van Driving Course – Hendon Driver Training School
- 1990 Police Carrier Driving Course – Hendon Driver Training School
- 1991 Police Advanced Car (Class 1) – Hendon Driver Training School
- 1996 Promotion to rank of Police Sergeant
- Police Basic Driver Instructor
- 1998 Police Standard Motorcycle Course – Hendon Driver Training School
- Posted to North West Traffic Division
- 2000 Institute of Advanced Motorists – Motorcycles
- Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents – Motorcycles (Gold Grade)
- 2001 Diploma in Advanced Motorcycle Training (ROADAR)
- BTEC Diploma in Advanced Motorcycle Training (ROADAR)
- 2003 Project Leader – BikeSafe-London
- 2004 Police Representative – London Motorcycle Working Group
- PSV Licence – D and D1E
- HGV Licence – C and C1E
- 2005 Regional Representative – National BikeSafe
- Project Leader – ScooterSafe-London
- Examiner (Cars and Motorcycles) – Institute of Advanced Motorists
- Examiner (Cars and Motorcycles) – Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents
- 2007 Police Representative – Motorcycles In Bus Lanes Project with Transport for London
- 2009 Police representative – Motorcycle Safety Forum
- Police Special Escort Group (SEG) trained
- 2010 Escort Techniques / Abnormal Load Training
- 2011 Police Advanced Motorcycle (Class 1) – Hendon Driver Training School
- 2012 On Road Advanced Riding Instructor – BMW
- 2013 Reflective Practitioner writing the updated Roadcraft publication – Motorcycle and Car
- European Tour Guide – World of BMW
- Level 1 Off Road Riding Skills – BMW Off Road Skills (ORS)
- Rider Intervention Developing Experience (RIDE) Instructor
- 2014 Cardington qualified CBT Instructor
- Cardington qualified DAS Instructor
- 2015 Level 3 in Training and Education (PTTLS)
- SFJ Awards Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement (QCF)
- 2017 IAM RoadSmart Masters with Distinction
- Road Safety GB Practitioners Foundation Course in Behaviour Change
- 2018 National BikeSafe Strategic Coordinator